What should I do in a potential gas leak situation?
Sitting at home and think that you can smell gas? There is a possibility to it may not be gas but if you find yourself in a situation like this, it is crucial that you take all possible precautions. The team at J & P would like to take a moment to explain what you need to do to stay safe.
The first step is to find the emergency gas control valve and turn the valve in to the horizontal position which is the opposite of vertical which will turn the valve off by pushing it as far as it will go. You should call the emergency gas board on 0800 111 999 where you will be put through to an operator.
Please don’t ask questions on gas issues as the operator is only trained to talk you through the safety side and organising an engineer to get to your property ASAP. Just below are a listed of what the operator will talk you through.
Advice to consumers without prior contact of the emergency service
- Turn off the gas at the emergency controls.
- Open all doors, windows and ventilate the property.
- Immediately extinguish any type of ignition.
- Stay away from where the effected area or smell is noticed.
- Call/contact the emergency service to advice of current situation in a safe place i.e outside.
- Ensure easy access to the property is in place.
- Do not operate switches (ON or OFF).
- Do not smoke or use any type of ignition for example telephone, torch, candle and doorbell.
When an engineer from the emergency service (gas board) arrives they will complete a gas check. If found all safe then keep the gas service on but if found to have a leak then will place a warning sign of do not use with more information depending on the situation. Once the engineer is happy with what he has done he will leave the property.
If your gas is turned off for safety reasons, give the team at J & P A call to arrange for an registered gas safe plumber to come out and fix what issue needs fix. The engineer that attends requires an ID card to prove we are a competent gas engineer to take on the work in an orderly fashion.
If you need the assistance of a high quality team of Gas Safe Registered plumbers, give us a call on Tel. No. 020 7610 1616 and our skilled team of plumbers will be able to quickly pay you a visit.
Currently Browsing: Gas Leak – What To Do?