This is the time of year that central heating systems become a hot topic of conversation in our industry. There are a variety of central heating systems from which you can choose and we are always happy to advise regarding which will be the best for your property.
To help speed up the decision making process, we have drawn up some of the pros and cons that related to the eternal battle of ‘Electric v Gas Central Heating‘.
What are Electric Central Heating systems?
Electric Central Heating systems, are sometimes referred to as Resistance Heating, and perhaps unsurprisingly work by converting electricity directly into heat. Electric heaters circulate heat by blowing air across the heating supplement which is provided to the furnace through return air ducts.
What are the advantages?
- Cheaper than their gas counterparts to install.
- Small number of components means that next to no maintenance is required.
- Readily available throughout the world.
What are the disadvantages?
- Electricity prices are increasingly expensive.
- The ‘daytime’ rate on Economy 7 or Economy 10 tariffs is higher than on standard single-rate electricity tariffs.
- Older models can be reliant on outside factors reducing reliability and control.
What are Gas Central Heating Systems?
Most households in the UK have mains gas central heating. This is a so-called ‘wet system’, which means a gas-fired boiler heats water to provide central heating through radiators and hot water through the taps in your home.
Advantages of Gas Heating
- Gas is a highly efficient fuel, so you get a good return on every unit of energy. Modern condensing boilers, which use hot flue gases that are wasted in a standard boiler,
- Gas is piped directly to your home so you don’t need to store any fuel.
- Replacing a standard gas boiler with a highly efficient modern condensing boiler is relatively straightforward.
Disadvantages of Gas Heating
- Gas prices are on the rise and are likely to remain high. The UK is no longer self-sufficient in gas and must compete with growing demand from other countries.
- Installing a gas central heating system from scratch can be expensive and disruptive. If you’re not on the gas network, connecting your property can also be costly.
- Gas boilers can be serviced annually to ensure they run efficiently and last as long as they should do
If you need the assistance of a high quality team of Gas Safe Registered plumbers, give us a call on Tel. No. 020 7610 1616 and our skilled team of plumbers will be able to quickly pay you a visit.